Monday, August 10, 2009

Country Scents

August 10, 2009

Well, here I go. I'm a blogger. I'm not really sure what a blogger is, but apparently now I am one. I'm told it's like writing entries in a journal or diary. That sounds simple enough. The difference apparently is that journals and diaries are private and blogs are not. I'll watch myself.

As far back into my life as I can remember those who know me say I must have Lucille Ball Syndrome, or maybe I am a Lucille Ball clone. Things just happen in my daily life that seem to spin hopelessly out of control. While they can be frustrating to me at times, they inevitably make others laugh or reflect. My grandmother said I was put on this earth to entrain folks. That's not such a bad thing, I can think of worse. People need to laugh, especially in these tough times.

So, this blog "Country Scents" is about my daily life. I'm not a kid. I'm not middle aged. I'm pretty much over-the hill and sledding rapidly down the other side. I'm a woman rancher, married and I have grown children. That's really all you need to know about me for now.

The following entries are all true, real life events, but on occasion I may take creative liberties to enhance the stories. I'm a frustrated author, so I think creative liberties are justified.

Lets begin with today: August 10, 2009

I woke this morning with a sinus headache. Not such a great way to start any day, but that is the way it began. After my husband left for work I decided to take a sinus tablet and lay down for a bit to see if I could at least knock the headache down to a dull workable throb. It worked. My head cleared quite nicely. My new problem was that I was hit between the eyes with a pang of guilt for taking time out of my busy day to lay down. So much to do, so little time (sound familiar?)

I jumped up and before my feet even hit the floor they were moving at lightening speed. I was moving so fast that the best race horses in Kentucky couldn't have caught me. I rushed about the house gathering things and straightening things. The house never looks as good as I think it should. I have too many responsibilities. The garden, the animals, running a home-based business and trying to keep the house up. It gets overwhelming. Rushing about trying to make up for lost time, I carried a pad and pencil and jotted down all the great feats I wanted to accomplish before the day slipped away.

As I folded a stack of laundry I jostled the phone between my shoulder and cheek. A business call.

By about 7:30 I was off the phone (Love those folks on the East Coast who never remember there is a time difference between the East and West coasts .) I needed to tackle the things on my "to do" list, but first a quick shower was in order. As I raced though the bedroom on my way to the shower, I realized I had not yet opened the curtains. I quickly reached out and gave the cord a pull, causing the drapes to fly open with a whoosh. I gave the landscape a quick nonchalant glance, noted the undeniable beauty and started to turn away...nothing in this world could deter me from my mission of great accomplishments today.

Ahhh, but there it was. It was the striking brilliant silver sheen that first caught my attention. It screeched my runabout world to a sudden halt as if someone had pulled the emergency cord on a runaway trolley. I moved closer to the window for a better look.

There hanging in brilliant profusion, from the Tulip tree, were nine very delicate strands of what looked like very expensive sterling necklace chains. I knelt on a chair and pressed my face even closer to the window. Each strand was about six feet long and flowed in a funnel shape from a single coupling on a low hanging branch. The opposite end of each stand was attached to our wrought-iron fence giving the whole wonder a "May-Pole" affect. Moisture from the morning dew had collected along the strands and as the sun filtered though them, the tiny droplets danced and sparkled like precious diamonds.

It was then that I knew that no matter what else the day had to offer, I had just been given the greatest treasure one could every expect to discover. A silent sparkling reminder that life's true blessings are fleeting and must be savored as they occur.

I poured a cup of coffee and sat watching as the sun crept slowly across the delicate spider web. I savored every minute. My own labors seemed small and insignificant. While I was laying down with my headache this early morning, a tiny spider wove a trap just a few feet from where I lay.

I suppose an entomologist might see the web from a clinical point of view and say the spider wove the trap to catch its next meal, or perhaps to lay its eggs in...but I will forever argue that the trap was set just for me.

In the midst of my rush-about morning, it caught me completely off guard and pulled me in. It held me hopelessly captive until it had calmed and reassured me. I once again have things in perspective. There is more to life than getting things done. The beauty of our world is precious and fleeting and not to be taken lightly.

3 comments:

  1. Jodi, What a great start! Looking forward to your next entry. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a writer elite (not just an egg blower!! :-)
    Your observations are are wonderful reminders of God's wonders and our short time here on this beautiful earth...
    Enjoy...as I know writing "de-stresses" you as it does me reading your witty encounters.
    Love you cyberSIC....Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom,
    Nice start to a great way to express yourself. The "Taboo" story brought a tear to my eye,not just because I'm tired, but because I remember the day you told us the story at the store.

    Love you,
    John

    ReplyDelete